Children start to develop rapidly in all aspects of their life. As much as it is essential to know how your child is developing, you must also know the factors that affect this development. Cognitive development is one of the most important developments in children that need to be considered. It starts from the time the child is born and lasts till they turn into mature adults.
However, there are several factors that affect this cognitive development in children. This is the reason for every child being different. Cognition in each child varies depending on how well they learn from the environment and how their thought processes work. In case you are wondering about the different factors that affect cognitive development in children, here is what you must know.
The two main factors that affect cognition in children are biological factors and environmental factors.
Biological factors of cognitive development
You can subdivide the biological factors further into the following:
- Intelligence affects different mental capabilities in children.
- Children that show a higher intelligence quotient can get proper stimuli from the environment.
2. Sense organs and cognitive development:
- When the sense organs in a child are developed properly, the child is able to receive correct concepts and stimuli.
- If the sense organs are defective, the child might end up collecting defective stimuli. Hence, they would form the wrong concepts in their mind.
- When the child starts to get matured, he/she is able to interact with their surrounding in a better manner.
- Good development of cognition requires proper interaction with the environment. The child is able to interact with these surroundings using their motor skills and mental maturation.
- These interactions, therefore, help in cognition directly.
- The hereditary traits that the child inherits from the parents also affect their cognitive development.
- If the genes of the parents have some disabilities, it might affect the cognition of the child.
Environmental factors of cognitive development
The environmental factors are subdivided into the following:
1. Family and society
- The child’s family and society around can indulge in creating different opportunities for the child and encourage a learning atmosphere.
- Friends and siblings also play an essential role in the cognitive development of the child. They often tend to imitate the people around them and learn from them.
2. Different types of stimuli
- Children get different stimuli from the environment and it helps them in perceiving different symbols and concepts.
- As a parent, you too can help your child get the meaning of different things.
3. Socioeconomic status
Children of a family who have a higher and better socioeconomic status are able to get more opportunities and different pieces of training as compared to the ones who do not have this background. This directly affects their cognition.
Now that you know the different factors that affect cognitive development in children, you can consider them and make sure that you give your child the best. You must take care that you provide your child with your best and help them develop better cognition.